'Hot Off The Press'
'Portraits of Afghanistan'
Juxtaposing the civilian and the soldier, Canadian Bill Irwin offers a glimpse into life in southern Afghanistan in his benefit show for retired Captain Trevor Greene.
'Hanuman and Giant Drum'
The Sovanna Phum Association, a collective of artists and musicians, delights audiences with "Hanuman and Giant Drum," an entrancing, light-hearted dance and drum performance.
DJ Marine from France brings the latest sounds from Europe to Phnom Penh for shows at Chow and The FCC.
Fresco BKK: Chill Out Sessions
Hard week at the mill?
Let us take over for a while so you can unwind. Free childminders, movies for kids and plenty of toys and fun for them. Half-priced wine selection and a $5 pasta menu for you. Who can argue with that? Everyday from 5 to 9 p.m. at Café Fresco BKK.
Headlines From the Phnom Penh Post
Editor to appeal sentence
Hang Chakra verdict threatens press freedoms, journalists say.
Details of talks under wraps
Tensions remain high along Thai-Cambodian border: officials.
CEDAC due to ship its first batch of organic brown rice
NGO says $66,000 contract with US firm Lotus Food will see 60 tonnes of rice sold to Cambodia's largest export market.
At The FCC and Beyond
Great Deals on Rooms
The FCC Angkor in Siem Reap and The Quay in Phnom Penh are both offering great room deals during July. Visit the web site for complete details.
Café Fresco Central Market
Don't forget, Café Fresco Central Market is now open on the southeast side of the market. Enjoy all your Café Fresco favorites.
Pacharan: $7 Lunch Special
Two tapas plates, bread and alioli, a glass of sangria, beer or wine, plus coffee all for just $7. Every day at Pacharan from 11 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.
MEMBERS DISCOUNT: 25% off lunch everyday.
Chow: Chow 8 Lunch Special
Sample the scrumptious Asian Lunch Special from Chow, with wine. Only $8. See the menu.
The Quay: Happy Hour
Happy Hour at The Quay from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. daily. Enjoy half-priced juices and cocktails and $1 Tiger Draft beer. Rooftop open to the public.
Headlines From Asia Life
Born to Be Wild
Mention big bikes and most people will probably first think of a Harley Davidson. Pure Americana it might be, but riding a Harley is a great way of touring the back-roads of Cambodia, according to two Australians. Words by Mark Jackson.
Sisters United in Art
Two sisters in contrasting ways are starting to make waves on the Cambodian contemporary art scene. Mark Jackson talks to Veasna and Kanitha Tith at the Chinese House.
Mekong Delta Triangle
Time was that travelling to the beautiful island of Phu Quoc involved an arduous bus journey, or expensive flight, to Ho Chi Minh City. The opening of the 'Ha Tien' border crossing to foreigners has changed all that. AsiaLIFE Guide travels to Phu Quoc and Chau Doc by land. Words by Mark Jackson and Nathan Horton, photos by Nathan Horton.
Calendar of Events
FCC Phnom Penh
- 'Snapshots of Afghanistan' photography by Bill Irwin. Opening reception with the photographer July 1, 6 p.m. Through July.
- DJ Marine, Saturday July 11, 8.pm.
- Bad Neighbours Latin Rock from Saigon, Saturday July 18.
- Sunday Seafood Semillon Brunch. All-you-can-eat Seafood plus a free flow of Semillon and supervised activities for kids. First Sunday of every month. $28.00 per person from 11:00 - 3:00 pm.
- Premier League on the BIG SCREEN every weekend at the FCC Rooftop. $1 Tiger Draft during matches.
- Salsa Night with DJ Jimmy, Thursday July 23.
- Loco Wednesdays, 1/2 price Mojitos, Sangria and Caprioska from 6 p.m.
- Max Mellow on strings (acoustic music). Every Friday 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
- Premiere League football Every Saturday & Sunday.
Back issues of The Wires are available online.