'Hot Off The Press'
In "Noodle Soup and Other Morning Rituals by the Mekong," Spanish photographer Angelica Arbulu discovers everyday people along the riverfront in Phnom Penh.
American artist Bradford Edwards is yet again playing with power tools, getting ready for a record fifth exhibition at the FCC Phnom Penh in December.
December at The FCC
ON TAP: A party with live music and a DJ at The Mansion, CamboFest, and live flamenco music highlight a party-packed December calendar.
FCC Angkor: Spiritual Relaxation
Get spiritual in the month of December with 10% off the FCC Angkor's Spiritual Relaxation get-away, a 4-day, 3-night package to the temples of Angkor and pampering from Visaya Spa.
The Quay: Phnom Penh Weekender Escape
Stay 2 nights in a Panorama Suite at The Quay with airport transfer, sparkling wine for 2 on arrival, and meals at Chow, the FCC and Pacharan. All for just US$375 per couple. For more details visit The Quay web site.
Chow: Chow 8 Lunch Special
Sample the new scrumptious Asian lunch special from Chow, with wine. Only $8. See the menu.
The Quay: Happy Hour
Happy Hour at The Quay from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. daily. Enjoy half-priced juices and cocktails and $1 Tiger Draft beer. Rooftop open to the public.
Visaya Spa: Sole To Soul
Relax and rejuvenate with Visaya Spa's special "Sole to Soul" massage package. Settle in with a foot massage, followed by a full-body
aroma oil massage. Then refresh with an anti-stress facial and face massage. It's 120 minutes of pure pampering for only $75. Visit Visaya Spa. Or call Visaya Spa, 063 760 814.
Headlines From the Phnom Penh Post
The search for a Khmer identity in architecture and urban planning
Bernard Wouters, senior design manager of architecture at Archetype Cambodia, says proportions, rhythms and spatial arrangements are the key to Khmer architecture.
Local demining goes to the dogs
The Cambodian Mine Action Centre has begun breeding its own dogs, which deminers say is crucial in their efforts to remove the millions of mines that still litter the countryside.
Govt imposes flight ban on Siem Reap Airways
The temporary measure follows a blacklisting earlier this month by the European Commission on any flights to European Union countries.
Calendar of Events
Battle of the Djs at The FCC Angkor, New Year's Eve. Party starts at 9 p.m.
The Mansion at 32 Sotheros
- Bad Neighbor + DJ Felipe, party in the colonial mansion at 32 Sotheros. Dec 20, 9 p.m.
FCC Phnom Penh
- "Accidental Voodoo", artwork by Bradford Edwards. Opens Thursday December 11, reception with the artist at 6 p.m. On display until January 5, 2009.
- Flamenco music with a special guest band to be announced. Dec 13, 8 p.m.
- Christmas Menu, 24th dinner, 25th lunch and dinner, $30/person. 3-course set menu with Kir Royal, Coffee or Tea. From 6 p.m.
- New Year's Eve Party with DJ's (TBA), ala carte menu, extended Happy Hour. Dec 31, 9 p.m.
- Salsa Sundays with DJ Benjii & DJ Jay. 5-10 p.m.
- Christmas Eve Set Menu, $90/couple, includes 4-course set menu with welcome glass of cava and matching wine flight. Dec 24, from 6 p.m.
- New Years Eve Menu $90/couple, 4-course set menu with welcome glass of cava and matching wine flight. Dec 31, from 6 p.m
- Flamenco music with a special guest band to be announced. Dec 12, 8 p.m.
- Cambo Film Fest, 26-28 at various locations around Siem Reap, including The FCC.
- Christmas Menu, 24th dinner, 25th lunch and dinner, $30/person. 3-course set menu with Kir Royal, Coffee or Tea. From 6 p.m
- New Year's Eve Party Tropical Winter Party and Battle of the DJ's. Dec 31, 9 p.m.
- Max Mellow on strings (acoustic music). Every Friday 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
- Khmer Buffet, every Saturday, $15.
- Premiere League football Every Saturday & Sunday.
See December at The FCC for complete calendar details.
Back issues of The Wires are available online.